Thursday, October 23, 2014

Confessions of a Wanna-be Wallflower

Hello, everybody. I'm Samantha and I'm an introvert. With the
connotations that go along with this word one would think it were
a bad thing. At first I fought it and then I went with it. I can still hear
in my head the tone in which my mother says my sister is such a social
butterfly. I enjoy social activities, but coincidentally my favourite
hobbies tend to involve doing something alone (sewing, gardening,
reading, yoga, DIY projects).  In high school, introverts aren't given
much of a choice, which probably explains some of the teenage
moodiness. There is less of this forced-socialization in university
- sororities and fraternities aside - and things begin to look up for
us introverts.  After university was difficult. I'm sure like many
others out there, it came as a bit of a surprise that it wasn't so easy to
land that dream job with that piece of paper you had earned confirming
your ability to learn that cost so much to get. I went back to waiting
tables and when serving groups of four or more, I stumbled on
everyday speech when I normally have no problem talking.
What if Baby wants to be in the corner?! 

All of this mumble jumble has to do with my new position
as a newspaper columnist. When I imagined myself writing, I
imagined myself, alone, typing away on the keyboard.  Well,
when I was little I imagined a pen and paper, but the times
have changed, haven't they? I didn't picture other people, I pictured
myself with just my thoughts, ideas, and whatever my imagination
could muster. Having a column that revolves around my new
community puts me out of my shell, there is the need for interaction.
It can be a bit scary sometimes to talk to strangers and having to be
the one to introduce themselves first.  I need to listen to the stories
of the locals and immerse myself in my new surroundings - that
doesn't happen if I hide at the back and keep to myself. Sometimes
you got to do what you don't want to do to get what you want.
This is one of those times.
Outfit:
Thrifted: Cardigan
Thrifted: Plaid Shirt
Thrifted: Shorts
JoeFresh: Tights
Thrifted: Moccasins

1 comment:

  1. I can completely resonate with this post, Samantha! Being in a new city and exploring the job market is so intimidating as an introvert, especially when you don't know anyone at all. I am realizing more and more the importance of networking which is basically my worst nightmare, ha! Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love talking to people, I'm just rubbish at putting myself out there to meet people.
    It's so exciting when new opportunities push you out of your comfort zone! I bet you're shining in your new role :)
    -Carley, a.k.a. your fellow introvert
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...