Sunday, December 14, 2014

DIY: Chalkboard Ornament

Christmas is such a wonderful time of year for pulling out the craft
box and keeping those hands busy. Handmade items can be either a
prized decoration for your home (and a wonderful conversation
starter) or a cherished gift for a loved one.  These chalkboard wood
slices might be my favourite project to date - they're rustic, simple,
and since they can be personalized they'll stand the test of time.
The fact that they're unbreakable is a plus too, if you have a
rambunctious kitten or a dog's wagging tail, then you'll enjoy
these wood ornaments. This project is a great one to do with
a friend or partner too - Paul and I had a blast making these!


Materials:

- Wood Slices (I have yet to buy some power tools so my mom cut
these. If you don't have access to a tree and power tools, I believe
craft stores, like Michael's, sells wood slices.)

- Chalkboard paint or spray

- Eye screws

-  Painter's or masking tape

-  Ribbon 

- Chalk 

Steps

1 Purchase wood slices or cut your own tree. My mom had some
trees in her yard she needed to remove. This year after Paul and I
take our tree down, we're going to cut that up into wood slices for
future DIY projects. As they say, waste not, want not. 

2 Tape sides of wood slices to stop paint from getting onto
the wood.

3  Spray/Paint wood slices. I had to do four coats, letting it dry
24 hours each time. Wood absorbs the paint more so than a wall
does; I only had to use two on my kitchen wall. 

4 Remove tape

5 Screw eye screw into the top

6 Add ribbon

7 Write whatever message you want - the best part! 

8 comments:

  1. Hahaha, every time I come to your blog there is a new SUPER CUTE DIY!!! lol- I feel like I just want to do every one on your blog all day. :p

    We should totally do a collab soon! Where are you based in Canada?


    And thanks for your comment, hehe. :p

    Happy Advent,
    Christine
    www.beyoutifulhope.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely DIY! We have loads of these in our little wood shed and i've been wondering what to do with them. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eeeep! Well if these aren't just the cutest. Man, I haven't made ornaments in so long. The last ones I made were probably back in grade school, like those little reindeers made of popsicle sticks and a pompom nose! This is such a cute idea, though! :DD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving this DIY! I will be doing the mason jar snow globes with the pine tree today! Probably posting a tutorial on my blog for them. I love doing little simple DIYs like this one. :)

    Natalia
    curiousnatalia.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. SAM!!! What a friggin cute DIY idea! I think they would make such perfect personalized gifts to people too! Thank you for sharing girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen my fair share of holiday DIYs but this is one I haven't seen and it's by far one of my favs! I sort of have an obsession with chalkboard paint. Thank you for sharing this idea! Happy holidays!

    Abigail | #cheerstonow

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...