Sunday, October 20, 2013

Más Que Nada

Brrr, it's getting cold! Plaid and chilly weather, well they go hand in
hand, don't they? This little plaid-tastic number was made with my
very own hands, true word.  No reworking something already in
existence, I made this one from a yard of fabric.  This was my very
first handmade skirt - or anything for that matter.  I went with the 
elastic waistband due to its simplicity.  I had originally made it about
four inches longer, but it didn't have enough shape to it for my petite
body and looked a bit like a brown paper bag. So I had to redo it. This
is when I start to get back into the sewing groove, with the weather
cooling down and hibernation beginning to set in.  Last winter I went
through all of the Terry Jones documentaries (if you like comedy and
history, this is for you!) while I sat at the table sewing away under the
light of the lamp. This is also why I have a lack of pictures for things
I create; I usually do it at 10 or 11, sitting in front of the tv, just awful
for photos. I'm quite proud of my handiwork though. With the little
pleats and the buttons. Yes, I may have given myself a high-five...
While I do so very much love the summer, there's not much better
than boots in regards to footwear.  My style is fairly girly, but I like to
wear something more hardy and substantial on my feet. I also like the
juxtaposition of a girly skirt with what I call my adventurer boots. I
find boots with laces are the best. They allow you to adjust if you are
wearing leg warmers rather than stretching already snug boots trying
to layer. I'm hoping to find a similar pair of boots in brown this season.
I've vowed to wear more of my scarves this year.  Take this one here,
never worn before, but I've had it for years. I honestly have enough
scarves to wear a different one every day for three months. I wish I
could say I'm exaggerating, for I'm starting to think I have a hoarding
problem, but sadly enough I'm not.  One of the reasons I have so many
scarves is because of mi amiga, Grisel. When she moved back to Mexico
City she gave me all of her knit and thicker scarves.  Pretty much all
of the ones that kept her warm during Canada's intense winters, which
would be of little use to her in Mexico's heat. This is one of those.
Outfit:
Vintage Boots
Handmade Skirt
Thrifted Top
Gifted Scarf 
Le Chateau Jacket 
Thrifted Bag

12 comments:

  1. I love your skirt, it is so stylish and amazing, such a great print. You're very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww this is such a cute outfit! I absolutely love that skirt :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Plaid is literally my favorite thing about chilly weather I think haha! You look adorable, I love the neutral plaid. Hope you're having a wonderful day :)
    xo Hannah

    http://thebraidedbandit.blogspot.com
    http://thebraidedbandit.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This outfit is great. I love that you thrift almost everything. I have an ethical style blog and try to feature a lot of fair trade and second hand items, so it's nice to know there's a whole community partaking in the same thing. - Leah, wisestyle.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dang girl, you made this skirt? That's awesome! I wish I had some sewing ability...aha. I just love the plaid print and how you styled it :)

    The Dragonfruit Diaries

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you hon! I always love hearing your comments, you're too sweet :) I was wondering, I haven't been able to go to your blog for several days now, is there something going on... or is it maybe my computer?

      Delete
  6. You made that skirt?? Wow. It is adorable and so perfect for Fall. You look amazing in this outfit. And again, I'm so envious of your cold weather. It's not even cool enough to wear a jacket here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this outfit- and how cute it that skirt!? Great job on it :) Alex

    http://tobebeautifulingodseyes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. before I even knew you made the skirt I was admiring its cuteness. cannot believe you made that! impressive! you look super cute as always.

    christen
    fashionplatecheapskate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. That skirt is adorable and you made it? Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow i am SOOO impressed you made that skirt. so perfect for fall. although you said you didnt find a long one fitting, i alwyas think if you're petite they can be great, but maybe it's just since i def am not petite.
    Cuddly Cacti
    Mitla Moda

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...